Social Pastimes

Friday, October 07, 2005
I apologize for being totally unresponsive to fast breaking news--but I have to share a couple of approaches for creating a fun social event that anyone could enjoy at your domicile. First: the make your own shish kebab party wherein the host/ess slices up the the appropriate meat and veggies the night before, soaks the skewers and then sets it all aside for the party goers to make their own--voila--you do all the work before hand, and you can enjoy the festivities with no marginal labor. All you have to do is set the makings out and provide a hot grill--is this a great country, or what.

Now, when the guests have porked out on their own creations, you can interject the party game of "Name your favorite movie." As a thought experiment we could do it now--close your eyes and name the 3 greatest movies you have ever say of all times. Its a great conversation starter and a lends itself to an entire evening of debate.
AND--for the record, my three favorite movies are: The Treasure of the Sierra Madre; (2) any of the John Ford Cavalry triology, although I prefer Fort Apache; and (3) The African Queen. As you can probably tell I am a major Bogie Fan, but the conversation around selections will carry you through the entire evening, and you may even save money on booze. :)

4 comments:

chuck said...

Heh, I hardly watch any movies. In fact, I would describe myself as a movie illiterate. Some that have stuck in my mind over the years, though, are:

Intolerance (DW Griffiths)
Paths of Glory (Kubrick)
The Wrong Trousers (Nick Park)

There would probably be more if only I had seen more.

MeaninglessHotAir said...

I'm usual in complete and total agreement with chuck, which is one reason I usually refrain from writing or posting after he has posted, but here we differ. I love movies! I could watch two new ones every day without a problem.

Here are three of my favorites: Ikiru, Casablanca, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

terrye said...

My favorite movies:

Citizen Kane

The Lord of the Rings [all of them]

The Searchers/The Shootist

The Godfather {the first}

Psycho/Vertigo

I do love Hitchkock, he was such a kook.

I do love John Wayne. He was so American.

Knucklehead said...

As with wine I am ignorant of the art that underlies movies. I only know whether I enjoy watching them or not. This sort of attitude toward movies (or wine) does not lend itself well to identifying a very short list of favorites. Oddly enough, there a very bad movies I thoroughly enjoy (The Longest Day being one such.

Hard not to love Sierra Madre, Casablanca, and African Queen. And what about Key Largo and Maltese Falcon. What's not to enjoy about most movies Bogart did. Just about anything I've ever seen with the Ingrid Bergman in I find fascinating and enjoyable.

I enjoy westerns, even corny ones. To those mentioned already I would add Once Upon a Time In the West, The Magnificent Seven, Nevada Smith, Unforgiven.

I'll gladly watch all or bits of the first Godfather movie.

Off the beaten path (at least so far for this thread) I thoroughly enjoyed Seabiscuit and get a kick out of some really oddball movies such as Pulp Fiction, the Kill Bills, and O Brother, Where Art Thou.

As you might guess, movies are "old" by the time I see them. Not a cinema attendee, the industry makes little, very little, money from me.