Monday, January 15, 2007

Constrained?

WASHINGTON (AP) - Digging in for confrontation, President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney say they will not budge from sending more U.S. troops to Iraq no matter how much Congress opposes it.

"I fully understand they could try to stop me," Bush said of the Democrat-run Congress. "But I've made my decision, and we're going forward."

As the president talked tough in an interview that aired Sunday night, lawmakers pledged to explore ways to stop him.

"We need to look at what options we have available to constrain the president," said Democratic Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, a possible White House candidate in 2008. Democrats remain wary, though, of appearing unsupportive of American troops.


I wonder if Obama would want Congress restraining the executive in time of war if he happened to be Commander in Chief.

There is something wrong, just plain wrong, when a major American political party has a vested interested in seeing America lose a war. Will history blame Bush? Maybe, but I don't think he will be the only one.

I wrote my representatives and asked them to support the President. I think it sends a message to our enemies that we are not only divided but are eager for defeat if we can even manage another 21,500 troops without a tantrum from Congress.

1 comment:

John J. Coupal said...

Democrats have had a political death wish for decades. Seeing President Bush as their greatest obstacle to peace has caused Democrats to behave in the most bizarre ways imagineable.

Fortunately, the American people are watching the spectacle.