Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Fall Election: Condensed Version

At last, Michelle Obama proud of America
“Hope is making a comeback and, let me tell you, for the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country. Not just because Barack is doing well, but I think people are hungry for change,” she said during a rally in downtown Milwaukee. --Michelle Obama


John McCain’s Feb. 19 Speech
“I don’t seek the office out of a sense of entitlement. I owe America more than she has ever owed me. I have been an imperfect servant of my country for many years. I have never lived a day, in good times or bad, that I haven’t been proud of the privilege.” --John McCain

3 comments:

MeaninglessHotAir said...

Unlike certain other prominent families, Michelle isn't actually running (at least not yet).

chuck said...

Well,

It's not her first statement along those lines. If Obama and his wife come off as privileged and ungrateful it isn't going to help their cause among working families.

Something I need to research is money. Obama has become wealthy in office. I wonder how McCain has done in the politics as money department?

Barry Dauphin said...

Although Michelle isn't the one running, this still could be a theme of the campaign. Obama gives pleasing but forgettable speeches. Michelle says a little, but it's easily remembered and played out. She expresses the underlying sentiment behind his campaign.

Obama is different than Bill Clinton in an important way. Bill was a real policy wonk. Whether one agreed with his policies or not, he liked to talk details. Obama is running on rhetoric, with policies very much in the background.