Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Weekly Links


Nerd tatoos.

There's no absolute freedom of speech in Sweden.

Google is building a lobbying powerhouse in Washington.

This doomed star is approximately 150 times the size of the Sun.

Cheap ethanol from glycerin, from biodiesel, care of bioengineering.

France bans Canadian Blackberries on fear of US spying.

11 cures for procrastination.

New study shows Vista more secure than Linux or Macintosh OSX.

The world's best business sites. (hat tip: Buddy Larsen)

A binary adder made from marbles. (hat tip: Seneca the Younger)

Top cities for young professionals.

Sun delivers its first Blackbox data center to Stanford.

Social trip finder.

We actually belong to the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy, not to the Milky Way. Who knew?

How to cool your house.

If fire were made of water.

The essential 1,000 films.

Aurora Borealis from space.

Philosophy of History.

Quantum dots might be the key to teleportation.

Giant penguins roaming the tropics.

The UK is the worst for social mobility.

The coming global cooling.

7 secrets of the super-organized.

Chimps can be altruistic.

World's first robot construction worker.

1 in 10 Brits born overseas.

Inside China's factories.

Iranian forces cross into Iraq.

Hot rocks keep North America afloat.

Facebook vs. MySpace.

7 comments:

buddy larsen said...

Man, I'm loving this link list more every time. Wish there were more hours in the day, tho.

Anyhoo--great perspication and eruditity showing in the selections, MHA!
:-)

Luther said...

MHA, no comments doesn't mean no one is reading. I am, and Buddy, at the least. Nice selection, distributive input. Yeah I know, too many commas, not enough meat. Keep it up. And oh, those close in beauties are work safe, though I hate typing those words.

Barry Dauphin said...

I third BL & LM! Really good links!

MeaninglessHotAir said...

Ok, guys, thanks I really appreciate it.

It's really hard for me as an extrovert to write because I don't get any feedback. I never know whether anyone is reading or not. I never know whether I'm on the mark or not. I guess I'll take this as enough confirmation to keep going several more weeks anyway.

buddy larsen said...

I can imagine--must be akin to "flop sweat", LOL.

I'm just so repetitive & dull, I don't comment as much as I used to. I've run out of neat turns of phrase! The horror!
:-D

Anonymous said...

You are doing great, MHA.

Anonymous said...

About the link about freedom of speech in Sweden.
The court in this case is a District Court, which is the lowest court in the Swedish system.

What's interesting about it is that it consists of one judge and 4 appointed laymen, and those 4 are political nominees, nominated by the political parties. A lot of them have been given this appointment as thanks for their loyal work, and a lot of them thinks it's totally appropriate to use the court for party politics.

Most of these cases are of course turned over on appeal to the next court "Tingsrätten", which consists solely of judges.

But the problem is still there, very few people want the hazzle being brought to court, being convicted, and then hope to win on appeal. Especially since it can be a costly affair. So this is a very good way for political parties to show what's acceptable speech.

And the limit gets lower and lower.
A recent case involved a person being investigated for openly stating which country some of the heroin that reaches Sweden comes through, and what country the drugdealers are from.