Thursday, November 24, 2011

Popular Science archive

Online tool for searching the back issues -- Click to enlarge
Now that you're done with your Thanksgiving turkey you may just want to relax and do some reading. If so you might want to check out the online Popular Science Archive of its magazines. The archive includes all of its old issues starting with their first in 1872. 

Popular Science worked with Google to create the archive. The Archive Explorer (pictured above) allows you to either browse the covers or enter a search term to see how many times it appeared in an issue. The image above used 'Radio' as its search term, and you can it started being written about in 1916 and quickly became a favorite topic.

The issues are fully digitized. You can go any one and read all of its articles, as well as look at all of the old ads and whatnot. I've collected some samples of old Popular Science illustrated covers. There are more after the jump, and of course many more at the archive itself. 




1 comment:

OMMAG said...

I once found an entire collection of popular science and popular mechanics that covered from 1955 through 1961 complete..... I was 10 at the time and my parents made me get rid of them after reading.... good for my general education but bad for my financial future.