Monday, May 07, 2012

Extreme ironing

Click any image to enlarge
I'm not sure how I missed this new sport for as long as I did, but somehow it slipped past me. As the website Extreme Ironing Bureau explains it, "...extreme ironing - the latest danger sport that combines the thrills of an extreme outdoor activity with the satisfaction of a well pressed shirt."

According to Wikipedia the sport started in 1997 by an English fellow by the name of Phil Shaw.  Legend has it that he came home from a hard day of work and needed to iron some shirts. However, he also really wanted to do some rock climbing and so he decided to combine the two activities. As they say, the rest is history.

At any rate, I guess that now the sport of  extreme ironing now has competitions, rules, and what-not; although I'm not sure if they have junior leagues yet. Hmmm... I wonder if a picture of me ironing as I blog would win me a trophy?

The pictures were all swiped off of the internet via a Google image search on extreme ironing. I took a few that I like and enlarged them. There are many more at the link if you're interested.

Finally, as an aside, considering that the last new English sport I stumbled across was bog snorkeling, I'm really beginning to worry about our British cousins.

No comments: