Saturday, October 29, 2011

Mongolian Death Worm movie declared a classic

A mortified Humphrey Bogart hits the bottle upon hearing the news that Casablanca
is in the same league as SyFy's Mongolian Death Worm.
As regular visitors to Flares know I have certain obscure topics that I track with a religious fervor. One of them is Mongolian Death Worms. Since it has been a while since I've written about them I decided to cruise the internet for the latest on Mongolian Death Worms.

Imagine my surprise when I read the following startling news in the TechRadar article YouTube Movies launches in the UK:
YouTube has finally brought its film streaming service to the UK, with over a thousand films available to rent on the Google owned video site.

The service, which was previously available in the US and Canada, includes classics such as Reservoir Dogs, Casablanca and Mongolian Death Worm. It also lets you stream more recent titles like Hanna, Red Riding Hood and Mega Piranha. (emphasis added)

Huh? The Mongolian Death Worm mentioned as a classic in the same breath as Casablanca?

I've seen Mongolian Death Worm. It was one of the SyFy channel's Saturday night movies. The plot, and I'm using that term loosely, revolved around a female doctor fighting an epidemic inflicting the locals, a roguish hero with a perpetual 5 o'clock shodow searching for Genghis Khan's lost treasure, some eeeevil oil men drilling in the Gobi Desert for nefarious purposes and a bunch of cheesy looking CGI Death Worms eating people.

In other words, it was a typically nonsensical SyFy channel movie. How did that film ever end up getting named a classic just like Casablanca? What am I missing? Ah well, that's a mystery that will take some time to solve.

No comments: