Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Slit scan portraits

Click any image to enlarge
 Slit scan cameras are used for photo finishes as well as aerial and satellite photography. The lens of the camera is replaced by a slit, and the film is pulled past the slit and exposed. A good explanation of how they work is given in How to Spot a Psychopath's article Elastic athletes.

Some photographers have taken portraits with slit scan cameras. They set the subject o a turntable and rotate them at the same speed the pull the film past the slit. As you can see in these samples, the results are striking.

When I gathered these samples I had a text file with URLs to where I found them. I can't find that text file and so I apologize for not being able to properly credit the photographers. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice slit-scan images. You can look at my images made with ScanCamera App for iPhone on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/da_gagnon/sets/72157637363000184/