Thursday, October 27, 2005

Very possibly one of the most offensive things I've ever seen


... at least published under someone's own name. What am I talking about? This image, a photoshopped caricature of Maryland Lt Governor Michael S. Steele (R). The caption? "I's Simple Sambo and I's runnin' for the Big House."

What's the source? A Ku Klux Klan website? No. Aryan Nation? No. Neo-Nazis? Nope.

It's a blog called The News Blog, in an article entitled "Simple Sambo wants to move to the big house". A blog that blogrolls, erm, Daily Kos, Atrios, Iraq Casualty Count, and Uggabugga.

Now, I realize this is a cliché, but can you imagine the furor if, say, RightWingNutHouse had run an article last year calling Kweisi Mfume "Sambo"?

But that's okay ... I'm sure some of their best friends are ni --- er, African-Americans.

Update: Spelling fixed thanks to flenser's notice.

4 comments:

Rick Ballard said...

If they're that scared of Steele this early - remember Schumer's felonius search - I suppose I ought to send him a donation.

flenser said...

I'll be sending a donation also, even though Maryland seems like a long shot.

His name is misspelled in the post, btw.

MeaninglessHotAir said...

Ok, flenser had just about convinced me to vote the straight Democratic ticket next election earlier today. Now I have to back off that resolution. Sheesh! These people aren't fit to go out of their houses without adult supervision.

Rick Ballard said...

MHA,

Are you suggesting that continuous flogging doesn't improve morale? What a curious idea.