Sunday, February 18, 2007

Just like in the days of Vietnam.

"There will be resolution after resolution, amendment after amendment . . . just like in the days of Vietnam," Schumer said. "The pressure will mount, the president will find he has no strategy, he will have to change his strategy and the vast majority of our troops will be taken out of harm's way and come home."

Come home to what? Defeat? Humiliation? Flag burning hippies?

What is with these people and Viet Nam? Do they think most Americans look back on those days with fondness and want to relive them? I am a baby boomer, but I have to say the world will be better off when the "me" generation are all gumming jello in a nursing home somewhere.

There is some war news over at Mudville.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, I am trying to remember what my Grandma told me about Christian charity...but I ain't Jesus.

They just plain piss me off.

richard mcenroe said...

This country really won't be safe until the last of our generation is dead...

MeaninglessHotAir said...

Vietnam was a military victory. Even the "Vietnamization" program was a success until the United States Congress cut off funding in 1975. Let's put the blame for defeat squarely where it belongs, shall we?

buddy larsen said...

Hell, Murtha ain't no boomer. Neither is Pelosi or probably Reid, either.

But I'm moving away from disgust, too, and into something different.

I guess "hate" is as good a word as any.

Just have to keep reminding myself that this congress is duly elected. Duly, dooley, hang down your head tom dooley.

Barry Dauphin said...

Invoking Vietnam is a handy metaphor. It has happened and people know how it turned out. It solves the ambiguity problem. Considering this situation to be something new or unique is probably scarier. It also motivates the Boomers (who vote in larger numbers than younger people). Between this and solving global warming in the next 10 years (or else), the Boomers can expect to have a lot on their gradually irrelevant plates. It's like being dealt back into the game after you've run out of chips.