Wednesday, November 29, 2006

YAAQ: Yet Another Accent Quiz

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The West
The South
North Central
The Inland North
Boston
The Northeast
Philadelphia
What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Result: The Inland North

Hmm.

Well, this California native who emigrated to Washington State did have a pappy from Michigan. So that 'splains it then.

chuck said...

I think mine comes from my dad also, both my brother and I sound like him.

vnjagvet said...

Another midland here.

Born and raised in Erie, PA (NW PA)

Schooled in Eastern PA

Lived in Atlanta since 1968 (when I was in my late 20's)

I think this test result is correct. I have been told by many folks that I "have no accent" despite many years in the South.

MeaninglessHotAir said...

Dallas is not a Southern city, though one can find pockets of Southerners there.

loner said...

My result is also The Inland North with this explanation:

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Inland North 100%
The Midland 80%
The Northeast 76%
Philadelphia 73%
The South 65%
The West 33%
Boston 19%
North Central 15%

I think the problem is with using the word "sound" in the questions. I'm never asked any of the above questions and I've never called Coke pop. From toying with the answers it appears that the more you think things "sound" the same, the more you're identified with the West. I'm sure I say words the same that I know should sound different. I'm lazy that way. I'm a Californian.

Charlie Martin said...

Yep, me too. Midland.

Barry Dauphin said...

Me-Philadelphia. Hmmm, I was born and raised in New Orleans.

Unknown said...

I must have screwed this thing up. I do not sound like I come from Philadelphia. Nosiree.