Monday, January 23, 2006

Chirac Rattles Nuclear Saber

A link via my personal news service from the Tocqueville Connection, carries this:

On Thursday, Chirac for the first time raised the threat of a nuclear strike on any state that launches "terrorist" attacks against France.

Although he did not single out any country, the warning could be intrepreted as including Iran -- frequently accused of sponsoring terrorism and under pressure over its disputed nuclear programme.


I am not sure what to make of it. When did France decide to grow a pair?

Is this what happens when we let Europe take the lead?

5 comments:

Rick Ballard said...

I'm sticking with my assertion that this was a mistranslation. Chirac actually said force de frappucino, a nuanced offer to surrender to OBL at a Starbucks of his choice.

It's that or Bush has made an offer of pardon to Chirac.

Barry Dauphin said...

From a Rumsfeld interview with Der Spiegel.

SPIEGEL: The US is trying to make the case in the United Nations Security Council.

Rumsfeld: I would not say that. I thought France, Germany and the UK were working on that problem.

SPIEGEL: What kind of sanctions are we talking about?

Rumsfeld: I'm not talking about sanctions. I thought you, and the U.K. and France were.

SPIEGEL: You aren't?

Rumsfeld: I'm not talking about sanctions. You've got the lead. Well, lead!


Beware what you wish for Jacques.

Morgan said...

Is this what happens when we let Europe take the lead?

At the risk of arguing post hoc ergo propter hoc, it does have that feel, doesn't it.

Rumsfeld: "Can't you guys do anything on your own?"

Chirac: "Oui, and with nukes!"

Eric said...

I think I said this before someplace, (perhaps not on this blog), but when push comes to shove, the Europeans know how to kill, and kill lots. Now in a reasonable world, it really shouldn't come to that, but then one could say the same about WWI.

I think it was for the consumption of the Iranians. Will the mullahs listen? I dunno.

offworld said...

I guess we get to play good cop this time.