Tuesday, January 17, 2006

El-Baradei talks tough

Over at publius there is an excerpt from a recent Newsweek interview with Mohammed El-Baradei. He makes the following statement to a question:

What if the Iranians are just buying time for their bomb building?
That’s why I said we are coming to the litmus test in the next few weeks. Diplomacy is not just talking. Diplomacy has to be backed by pressure and, in extreme cases, by force. We have rules. We have to do everything possible to uphold the rules through conviction. If not, then you impose them. Of course, this has to be the last resort, but sometimes you have to do it.

You’re angry.
No, I’m not angry, but I’d like to make sure the process will not be abused. There’s a difference. I still would like to be able to avoid escalation, but at the same time I do not want the agency to be cheated; I do not want the process to be abused. I think that is clear. I have a responsibility, and I would like to fulfill it with as good a conscience as I can.


Is there any hope the Diplomats can deal with the mullahs?

3 comments:

Eric said...

Ummm....I think that's a big NO.

I don't know what they're going to do though. I don't think that military strikes against Iran would slow them down any.

Like I said, invest in Oil Shale.

Unknown said...

Perhaps the point is to let the Iranians know that even a guy like this is getting bored with them.

Yes, oil shale is a good idea.

ex-democrat said...

is there any blackmailer the left wouldn't simply pay off (with other people's money of course)?