Sunday, September 24, 2006

Kat vs Dexter Filkins


On the left, the 5'0", 89 lb Kat. She spent two years working for a contractor in Iraq and has a few observations to make about Dexter Filkins, intrepid reporter for the NY Times, who has just published a book on his dangerous mission reporting on Iraq, a story of body guards, armored cars, and bomb shelters. A story of reporters holed up in their buildings, piecing together the snippets of news provided by their Iraqi journalist runners. Filkins admits he doesn't know much about what is going on in Iraq and thinks the military is confined to their bases and just as ignorant as he. Kat is not that impressed with Filkins. Nor, reading the military bloggers, does it look to me like the military is holed up on their bases, fearing to stick their heads up over the wall. Its really a shame that the girls go where the manly reporter fears to tread. Says Filkins, "Five people doing a run-of-the-mill story takes forever." Seems to me there were hundreds of run-of-the-mill stories Filkins could have reported without taking forever. He could have ridden with Kat, for instance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could have ridden with Kat, 'cept I'm married and the opposition on the domestic front may have been formidable. I say this because I thought about getting a contractor slot early on, but my wife said "no" in a tone just as bloodcurdling as that of any mad mullah at his pulpit. If not more so. And that pretty much nixed the idea.

chuck said...

I was thinking about 100-105 lbs myself, but didn't see the point in contradicting the lady ;)

Charlie Martin said...

Got her phone number?

Anonymous said...

Chuck:

Yeah, no way is it 89 lb. Doesn't matter.