Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Trees Don't Grow to the Sky

A couple of months ago I mentioned in comments that Google looked like a good short. The next day it got a little haircut but today's visit to the barber was more in line with what I had in mind.

I still think it's a 'long' short but I would have covered at about 50% today.

The company just ain't got nothin' that can't be replicated and the current "tuning" of the "free" search engine has driven me to Teoma as my search engine of choice.

At least this should cheer up Roger.

Btw - I agree with Charlie's take on Google wrt the geopolitics involved - I just don't like it on a personal level.

PS - Do not ask for further investment suggestions - I have both doubled and halved my portfolio from time to time and if I knew which one was going to happen next I'd sleep better.

6 comments:

Rick Ballard said...

I've finally figured it out. The "g" is for Gump, isn't it?

Just one of the "Gump Boys" who didn't quite make it to the 'Reading for Comprehension' level.

buddy larsen said...

I managed to screw up and stay out of Google--when it blew through a quick double before I could get this damn wifi to connect, I just took a pass, alas, to wait for the gap to fill--as the chartists say will always happen (and are right sometimes). But at least I didn't buy in at the top--that's what REALLY hurts.

buddy larsen said...

"Life is just a box of talking points" ?

MeaninglessHotAir said...

Rick,

Sure, Google looks like a short. The question is when. Timing is all.

Rick Ballard said...

MHA,

What do you mean "when"? It was a short the first time I mentioned it and I said I would have covered 50% then - which means that I would leave half the short position open now - I believe that I would cover the remainder after another 10% or so drop.

In other words - I'd short again today - if I were in equities - which I'm not.

Btw - gold still says "Something wicked this way comes."

buddy larsen said...

Ahh, but the long bond says "Nahhh".