Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Michael Ledeen on Syria and Iran on National Review Online

Michael Ledeen on Syria and Iran on National Review Online: "Meanwhile, a collection of frauds, writing in places like Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, The New Yorker, and Mother Jones, continuously recycles a story saying that a neocon (code for “Jewish”) conspiracy duped Bush into going to war in Iraq, and is now arranging the invasion of Iran. Documented lies, like those peddled by Joe Wilson to New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof, are treated as reliable. Fantasies about American armed forces operating covertly in Iran, like those written by Seymour Hirsh, get taken seriously. And people like me are accused of masterminding the whole thing, even though I oppose a military campaign against Iran.

No one can doubt that this is a willful disinformation campaign, aimed at paralyzing and then destroying the president. I do not think people in the White House have ever fully appreciated their peril. I think that lack of understanding goes hand-in-hand with the failure in strategic vision that underlies our unwillingness to fight the regional war that is being waged against us."

2 comments:

cf said...

I'm supposed to be working on an article on this..It appears that there are people on the intel committee staff working with these journos to do a Plamegate scamarama again.

Check out Dafna Linzer's piece this weekend in the Wa Po and one a few days earlier by Walter Pincus.
This is like playing with someone who has only a single game plan and plays it over and over again.

Unknown said...

I think there is a disinformation campaign, but I don't think Bush is unaware of it. If I remember correctly it was an attempt by the Bush White House to tell the truth about Joe Wilson that got the whole Plame business going. I doubt Bush missed that.

I like Ladeen, but I do not always agree with him. He spends as much time ragging on the Bush people as he does the left. Sometimes I wonder how helpful he really is.

BTW, Bush will be gone in a couple of years. What will all these people do with themselves.