Bush was a hit

Sunday, April 30, 2006
But was Colbert ?


WASHINGTON - It was twice the fun for members of the White House Correspondents' Association and guests when President Bush and a lookalike, soundalike sidekick poked fun at the president and fellow politicians.


"Ladies and gentlemen, I feel chipper tonight. I survived the White House shake-up," the president said Saturday night.

But impersonator Steve Bridges stole many of the best lines. Vice President
Dick Cheney and his hunting accident were targets of his humor on a couple of occasions.

"Speaking of suspects, where is the great white hunter?" Bridges said, later adding, "He shot the only trial lawyer in the country who supports me."

Bush continued a tradition begun by President Coolidge in attending the correspondents' dinner.

He invited Bridges to play his double. The president talked to the press in polite, friendly terms. Bridges told them what the president was really thinking.

Bridges opened like this: "The media really ticks me off — the way they try to embarrass me by not editing what I say. Well, let's get things going, or I'll never get to bed."

"I'm absolutely delighted to be here, as is (wife) Laura," Bush replied.

"She's hot," Bridges quipped.

The featured entertainer was Stephen Colbert, whose Comedy Central show "The Colbert Report" often lampoons the Washington establishment.

"I believe that the government that governs best is a government that governs least, and by these standards we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq," Colbert said in a typical zinger.


What a funny funny guy.

7 comments:

Fresh Air said...

Am I the only one in the country who until today had never heard of Colbert?

Based upon what I've read, the "journalists" and Colbert exhibited their typical lack of class and utter inability to laugh at themselves.

So serious--like a grade-school librarian.

terrye said...

Colbert is an ass. He is about as funny as a hangnail.

Barry Dauphin said...

Wow, was Colbert ever lame. It was embarasing watching him. You kept hoping someone would pull the plug and spare him his misery.

Repack Rider said...

Am I the only one in the country who until today had never heard of Colbert?

Apparently, but I wouldn't brag about my ignorance. 70 years ago you would have been saying, "Am I the only one in the country who has never heard of Will Rogers?"

Colbert was devastating. He has brass cojones the size of Manhattan and with Bush handing him the weapons, he has a well-stocked arsenal. He delivered a load of double-ought truth right between the eyes at close range. He twisted the knife in the heart of hypocrisy, corruption, incompetence and lies. What was there that was not to like?

This as the best thing I have seen on C-SPAN since Al Franken reduced Bill O'Reilly to jelly and then ate him alive.

Rick Ballard said...

FA,

Apparently he is a shining light among the dim. You have to admit, having the same magic pull as Franken is quite an accomplishment.

terrye said...

repack rider:

Glad I missed it.

JB said...

"He has brass cojones the size of Manhattan..."

Yes, he's a real risk-taker. There was a chance, no matter how small, that Bushitler was gonna ship him to Gitmo.

The funniest thing about all of this is how seriously the left takes its own, um, "courage".