Friday, April 21, 2006

A light at the end of the Tunnel

I hope.

Big Lizards has an interesting post on new developments in the on going saga of Iraqi politics:

UIA nominates Jawad al-Maliki, the deputy leader of the Daawa party, as its nominee.

Mr Maliki, a close ally of Mr Jaafari, recently headed a committee which purged members of Saddam Hussein's Baath party from public life, raising fears his nomination might be rejected by Sunni factions.

He has been acting as spokesman both for the Daawa party and for the broader coalition of seven Shia factions which make up the strongest parliamentary bloc and, therefore, has the right to nominate the premier...

He has been in charge of the Daawa party's internal political organisation and has taken an active part in helping formulate the four agreements which Iraqi politicians have already reached on the platform and other structures to underpin a new national unity government.


Will this break the deadlock? I hope...I hope...I hope. Omar is worried. I can't say as I blame him.

It seems the other posts have pretty much been nailed down, the post of PM was the sticking point.

This could take some time. Do we have it?

2 comments:

Syl said...

We'll see. Parliament meets in about twelve hours or so.

I was listening for the name and it wasn't familiar. I too was hoping for Mahdi.

Unknown said...

Well the concern is that the nominee is from Daawa. But even if he is from AlJaafari's party, that does not mean he is the same man. After all, they can not ignore the UIA. It is a fact of life.