Sunday, July 23, 2006

Is This True?

Apropos the discussion of Iranian involvement in the current war, Debka reports
Thursday, July 21, Iran’s Revolutionary Guards commander Brig.-Gen Yahya Rahim Safavi (picture) assumed command of the Lebanon war from Hizballah’s leader Hassan Nasrallah. RG forward command posts are operating out of Iranian embassies in Beirut and Damascus. Syria has placed its army, Scud missiles and air force in a state of preparedness.

Interesting if true. The whole article is here. It is not clear to me that the American resupply is a response to the Iranian resupply through Syria as Debka says, no doubt we are committed to giving the Israelis what they need. But if the Iranian involvement includes overall military command of Hizbollah forces, then I think there is little choice but to make sure Hezbollah is defeated in detail. I suspect the one week time table I see bandied about is DOA. I also wonder what escalation Iran will try if it looks like defeat for Hizbollah? Ummm...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wonder if this is really true. It seems a risk for Iran to take, considering the lack of support Hezbellah is receiving in the region. A move like this could also invite war. But then again Iran is run by a bunch of crazy people so I guess it is possible.