Thursday, April 06, 2006

"When I saw people falling..."

Former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani testified today in the death penalty phase of the Zacarias Moussaoui trial.

Giuliani said that when he arrived at the scene, his deputy told him how bad the situation was and people were jumping from the high floors of the towers. "I concluded or hoped he was wrong," he said.

But then he saw people falling and "I froze. I realized in that couple of seconds, it switched my thinking and emotions. I said, 'We're in uncharted territory.'"

Prosecutors also planned to summon family members to testify and they were poised to play phone calls from people trapped in the World Trade Center and speaking their last words to 911 operators.

"You cannot understand the magnitude of that day unless you hear it from the victims themselves," prosecutor Rob Spencer said.

Moussaoui smiled several times when the prosecution mentioned his enthusiasm for the attacks.

2 comments:

cf said...

To be honest, I still see them falling in my mind..I cannot think of that day or the dangers we still face without seeing them falling..And sometimes in my mind's eye I not only see them falling, but I take their places and see the Harbor and buildings and faces of loved ones as I fall.
(The other thing I remember is that it was an extraordinarily beautiful day in NYC and DC when we are all frozen in rage watching this outrage.)

MeaninglessHotAir said...

I was tired on that beautiful day and I went to a coffee shop to get coffee. What I'll never forget the middle-aged trustfunder there who announced to me that it was our governtment's fault. I nearly through my hot coffee in her face.