Saturday, July 08, 2006

News

AMERICAN DIGEST Essays | News | Notes | Quotes: "The water from our deepest wells of love runs clear and clean. It refreshes the soul. Like all the great waters of this life it carries within it no taste at all other than that which is pure and which is true. Tasted once we carry within us forever a ceaseless thirst for more of it.

Then there are, because we are only human and caught halfway up the stairs between beast and angel, the darker wells of which we do not speak, but which run just as deep and just as ceaseless within our hearts."


There is no way I can do this justice. Just let me say that Gerard Van der Leun may be the best essayist in English today, and tell you to go read the whole thing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's usually very good. Each new post is a must-read.

Unknown said...

Love is a killer isn't it?

I can still remember the first time I saw my exhusband. I still can not figure out if I am sorrier that I met him or that I lost him.

Rick Ballard said...

"sadder whether I met her or lost the house" works too, I've heard.

cf said...

It is a remarkable essay,thanks for posting it.

jlbussey said...

That's a sucker punch of an essay.

Here's the direct link:
http://americandigest.org/mt-archives/006426.php

Charlie Martin said...

Thanks, fixed the link.