Wednesday, July 12, 2006

And that's that.

Asymmetrical Information:

"Because of the LACK OF DENUNCIATION!

I want to make it clear that I denounce outrageous comments by over-the-top bloggers.

Furthermore, I disapprove of those bloggers who fail to denounce outrageous comments by over-the-top bloggers who may otherwise share the political positions of those bloggers who fail to denounce...them.

I want to add that I deplore the lack of condemnation in the blogosphere of such bloggers who fail to denounce said outrageous comments.

I also find it regrettable that many bloggers are not deploring, disapproving and denouncing soon enough after, respectively, the lack of condemnation, failures to denounce and said outrageous comments.

I just want to make that perfectly clear.

P.S. More re-allocation of condemnation here. After all, lack of regret, deploring, disapproval or denunciation amounts to being objectively pro-outrageous, pro-lack of condemnation or pro-non-denunciation. And we can't have that.

Perhaps a '2X4 upside the head' is in order."

3 comments:

loner said...

StY—

I sometimes wonder if I'm still objectively pro-fascist.

By the way, I've satisfied myself to near-certainty with the help of my translation and an on-line French version that, despite what you'll find when googling, La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid does not appear in Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre Ambrose Francois Choderlos de Laclos.


Ah Kirk, my old friend. Do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold? It is very cold in space.

It belongs to all space and all time and Orwell later withdrew his charge, or so I've read.

...and so it goes.

Syl said...

I know. It's gotten rather silly and out of control.

There's a poster over at pressthink who demanded someone he was 'sparring' with denounce those on the right who call the New York Times treasonous before he would engage further.

But Hannity is guilty of this as much as anyone else. He drives me nuts over it always wagging his finger.

I think the new rule should be:

Everybody for himself!

The tendency is that we all tend to cubbyhole each 'adversary' in an argument, ostensibly to understand where 'they are coming from', instead of engaging the argument on its merits.

It's a natural tendency and plays a huge role in our politics so it shouldn't be and can never be extinguished.

But we should recognize it for what it is, and also recognize the fact that both sides engage in the behavior.

Of course, as this piece points out, this pegging has been carried way too far in certain circles.

If you don't denounce something you've never heard of before you aren't an honest adversary.

Pfeh.

But, still, LOL

Humans are a funny bunch.

Rick Ballard said...

I just can't do it. Someone might be offended if I denounced something.

Besides, I don't have time - these lists for the re-education camps just keep getting longer and longer. It's a good thing land is cheap above the Arctic Circle.