Thursday, July 06, 2006

Happy Birthday








_____________________________________________________________________________________
Today is Gale's birthday, Sylvester Stallone's birthday and George Bush's birthday. In honor of Bush's birthday The Anchoress has repeat post up today that is worth reading.

A much-esteemed, long-neglected friend sent an email this morning, which was delightful to recieve. At one point he mentioned this post from yesterday and wrote: I think (President Bush) has lost his bearings. but then, so did Moses from time to time, it’s quite understandable.

That made me wonder a little - has President Bush lost his bearings, or have we? Is it President Bush who has broken faith with “his base” or have they?

When I read my friend’s line, I thought of a line from Pride and Prejudice, in which Elizabeth Bennett says in new appreciation of Mr. Darcy, “In essentials, I believe, he is very much what he ever was.”

Perhaps I am a dim bulb, but President Bush has never surprised me, and that is probably why I have never felt let down or “betrayed” by him. He is, in essentials, precisely who he has ever been. He did not surprise me when he managed, in August of 2001, to find a morally workable solution in the matter of Embryonic Stem Cells. He did not surprise me when, a month later, he stood on a pile of rubble and lifted a broken city from its knees. When my FDNY friends told me of the enormous consolation and strength he brought to his meetings with grieving families, I was not surprised. When the World Series opened in New York City and the President was invited to throw the first pitch, there was no surprise in his throwing (while wearing body armor) a perfect strike.


read it all.

2 comments:

MeaninglessHotAir said...

Happy Birthday Gale!

Unknown said...

He is being coy about his birthday. He acted all surprised when I gave him a funny card and a CD and a German chocolate cake and chocolate ice cream.

BUT, if I had forgotten...well there would have been a whole lot of poutin goin on.