Friday, March 03, 2006

The Force of Reason

...what kind of a democracy is a democracy that forbids dissent, the punishes it, that turns it into a crime? What kind of a democracy is a democracy that instead of listening to its children silences them, hands them to the enemy, abandons them to abuse and bullying? What kind of a democracy is a democracy that favors theocracy, that re-establishes heresy, that tortures and burns the free minds on the stake? What kind of a democracy is a democracy where the minority counts for more than the majority and where, counting for more than the majority, it swaggers and blackmails?!? A non-democracy, I say. A deceit, a lie. And what kind of freedom is a freedom which prevents us from thinking, from speaking, from going against the wind, from rebelling, from opposing those who invade and muzzle us? What kind of freedom is a freedom that makes citizens live in the fear of being prosecuted and convicted as criminals? What kind of freedom is a freedom that along with thought wants to censor feelings, to decide whom I must love and whom I must hate, so that if I hate Americans I go to Heaven and if I hate Muslims I go to Hell? A non-freedom, I say. A mockery, a farce.

-- Oriana Fallaci



I had forgotten I had ordered The Force of Reason, Oriana Fallaci's latest book some time ago. It was on back order, so today I got a box through the mail and was delighted by the surprise. The above except was from her prologue, and I could not help but think of the Mohammed cartoon controversy and the craven response to the ensuing Islamic riots. What kind of freedom indeed?

At any rate, I look forward to a weekend of being rabble-roused by the acerbic old woman. I thought I best warn you I may be foaming at the mouth a bit in the near future.

15 comments:

gumshoe said...

bellisimo.

the woman is a gem.

Rick Ballard said...

Un diamante.

She's really never changed - except for dropping her early leftist slant. Kind of. Hard as a rock, clear as a bell. She calls 'em as she sees 'em.

She has the EUnuchs dead to right - as well as the sniveling cowards of the US presse ancien.

Unknown said...

You might as well foam at the mouth, everybody else is.

Unknown said...

Oh I forgot to mention that I just read Rpbert Spencer's book on the Politically Incorrect History of Islam, he made it plain that there is no hope. Islam and the more than 1 billion people who practice it are beyond all help.

At least that is the impression I got. He never actually said that, but it was strongly implied.

And I keep hearing about the craven response to the cartoons, but in truth...what should have been said or done? Should all the papers have run the cartoons? Should all heads of state have said that it is perfectly acceptable to mock Mahammed and if the crazies don't like it, screw them?

I was really pissed at the riots and found myself wishing that Mohammed had never been born and this religion of his did not exist. I thought of the Buddhas in Afghanistan and how nobody seemed to care when they were blown up.

But you know what? I think there are radical people in the Mid East that use these reactions for propaganda purposes and they loved the cartoons.

So what is the best answer?

Rick Ballard said...

"So what is the best answer?"

For me the answer is to separate a pernicious theology suitable for tyrants and slaves from my thoughts of those enslaved by it. Encouraging a sectarian state is all that we can really do. And we should understand that it will be an unending battle, for Islam (as theology) is a sworn enemy of sectarian government.

Unknown said...

Rick:

Yes, I suppose that is it. But we have to be careful not to allow our frustration and anger to turn into something else.

Rick Ballard said...

I sure don't feel frustrated or angry. I'm actually pretty encouraged by the situation in Iraq. I expected a real blood bath prior to this and seeing the overall response to the constant goading is rather heartening.

Back in the early '70's both Iraq and Iran (Syria as well) were fairly sectarian. There really isn't any reason that they can't return to that status.

Once a couple of thousand of mullahs are dead.

chuck said...

Rick,

I don't want to cause trouble, but...

Sectarian:

1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a sect.
2. Adhering or confined to the dogmatic limits of a sect or denomination; partisan.
3. Narrow-minded; parochial.

I don't think sectarian is the word you want.

Unknown said...

secular

gumshoe said...

"Once a couple of thousand of mullahs are dead."

"Death to the Mullahs"
sounds like a great slogan
for a graffiti campaign.

who says we have to be traceable?

;0p
__________________
"Rick,

I don't want to cause trouble, but..."

O c'mon,Chuck.

what's a little trouble?

*la diamante* doesn't
have difficulty with the idea.

chuck said...

O c'mon,Chuck. What's a little trouble?

OK, I lied.

gumshoe said...

"O c'mon,Chuck. What's a little trouble?

OK, I lied."

ATTA BOY!

(just don't have
the ring it used to,hey?)

Rick Ballard said...

Oh jeez, yeah secular.

Maybe we're not smurter than the other guys? Or at least one of us isn't.

Unknown said...

Rick:

So you are not perfect. I am and that will just have to be enough.

Rick Ballard said...

"I am and that will just have to be enough."

It certainly is for me.