Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Emergency! Emergency!

John Sell Cotman - Ruined House
I knew this day was coming. Flares uses a free template and some of the graphics files are hosted on another site. I knew that at some point those files might no longer be hosted there, and it looks like that day has arrived. Flares has lost some background tiles and/or styling.

Time to do some remodeling I guess. Please bear with the mess as I shift to a new template.

UPDATE 1: My first concern was how the older posts would render in a new layout. My posts use an image/embedded video on top, generally followed by some text and then more images as needed. Because a lot of Flares' traffic comes through searches I wanted to make sure the old posts didn't look ridiculous. This seems to work.

I also think some people come more for my links than my idiotic posts, so I've pushed the 'Blogs of Interest' and 'Recommended' links to the top of the right side bar. I'll eventually move some things on top of them, but I won't push them down too far.

UPDATE 2: I am happy with the right rail layout, but I do need to add a contact form to it. Now and again I do get emails from Flares visitors and I want to keep that possibility on the site.

I've dropped the "Yet Another Great Blog" tagline. Hated to do that since it is actually another name for Flares, but I am working on making the header less tall so I can pull up more of the blog content in the browser window. I added Social Media links to the post footer.

I've also started to fiddle with the styling a bit. I'll be tweaking it as I go on.

The mobile view bothers me because the links get lost. I need to try to figure out if I can fix that.

UPDATE 3: I've done a couple more tweaks to the styling and I believe I am done for now. I have to admit this has been about the laziest blog redesign I could have possibly done, but it seems to have worked out.

No comments: