Wednesday, February 22, 2012

There goes the neighborhood

Click any image to enlarge
A short lived 1940s pulp magazine, Fantastic Adventures, ran a series on life in our solar system. It turns out we have some strange neighbors, such as the Neptunian lizards pictured above, as well as bat people from Pluto, giant slugs living in the swamps of Saturn, giant insects on Mercury and, as near as I can tell, a cross between panda bears and penguins that occupy Jupiter's moon Io.

Perhaps most alarming are the Martians. They're the most advanced beings in the Solar System and they tote around atomic rifles. We had best not irritate them. 

I must say that the creatures pictured below, crawling out of a hole in Uranaus, did remind me of the Robotolizer (What? You didn't really think I was mature enough to resist making a Uranus joke, did you?).

Via La Boite Verte. The rest of the series can be seen after the jump.      



2 comments:

talnik said...

"...crawling out of a hole in Uranus". Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that redundant? Isn't the creature in the picture merely crawling out of Uranus?

ambisinistral said...

It does seem kinda redundant now that you mention it.