Saturday, May 26, 2012

Perplexus and Superplexus



I was in a section of YouTube with videos of watch innards -- yes, my Friday nights are that exciting -- when I saw the above video for something called a Superplexus. I had no idea what it was about, and was baffled by it all until I realized that it was a large 3-D maze. The sphere is mounted on gimbals and you spin it around guiding the ball from start of the maze to its finish. It supposedly takes a proficient player about an hour to complete the maze.

The Superplexus in the video above is a custom work that was commissioned. It turns out that it is an outgrowth of Perplexus, which is a plastic, hand held toy version of the same 3-D maze concept. I think I may have seen them before, but didn't look at them too closely at the time. They look pretty entertaining in a maddening sort of a way.

You can view them at the Superplexus website and find the nearest store to buy one from, or you can order them off of Amazon. At Amazon they run from $15.72 for the rookie version, to 29.99 for the advanced model.

I've found a Gadgeteer review of the model pictured below. The reviewer gives it high marks. Be sure to read it if your interested in this gizmo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you found the Perplexus and Superplexus interesting! The man in the video is actually the inventor of the Perplexus (and the Superplexus), Michael McGinnis. :-) Thanks for sharing!