Sunday, June 24, 2018

Another way for a kid to shoot his eye out



When I was a kid we made rubber band guns using clothes pins. I imagine I would have craved one of these had they been around.

Of course, since the word gun is in the name rubber band gun, you can imagine how some folks might view their sale. In fact, in 2010 some nitwit in New Zealand bought one in a New Zealand shopping mall and then waved it around and joked about robbing a McDonalds with it. He ended up arrested, and perhaps the trial judge at his sentencing got a bit a carried away as well. From the Queensland Times:   
A judge has called for rubber band guns to be banned after a man wielded one of the weapons at customers at an Ipswich shopping centre ...

“I find it inconceivable that items of this nature are on sale in Queensland,” Judge Koppenol said.

“Quite apart from the damage that a fired rubber band could do to the eye of a victim this weapon would give the distinct appearance, in my opinion, from a distance of being an actual gun.

“I cannot see any benefit and a significant detriment from the continuation of the sale of items of this nature.”
 

No comments: