Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Necessary detail for pulp cover art

Click any image to enlarge

In my earlier post Popadanets -- Russian pulp propaganda about a genre of current Russian pulp fiction I ended it by making fun of the old-fashioned style of their cover art. I also noted the lack of buxom babes in their cover art, which seemed to me to be de rigueur for pulp cover art and sorely lacking in the Russian covers. 

So, in the spirit of international friendship, and in the unlikely chance that mixed in with my daily traffic of spam-bots are some Russian pulp book cover artists, I've posted some American pulp art featuring buxom babes for enlightenment. 

These examples, and those after the jump, are from 70-90 years ago and appear to match the art style the Russians are currently using. They were taken from Magazine Art's  Adventure magazine post. There are more examples at the link.  




5 comments:

Tacitus said...

Remarkable indifference to sun and mosquito bites. Perhaps the sheen comes from a mixture of 50% DEET and SPF 100.

T

Anonymous said...

I buy them for the articles.

ambisinistral said...

Tacitus -- an added benefit of all the mosquito repellant and sunscreen is our heroes can locate the buxom babes by scent when they need to be rescued.

Anonymous -- I for one want to know what dangers bikini clad native women pose to our helicopters with their boomerangs. BTW, I wonder if our younger readers will get your joke?

Tacitus said...

I wonder if there is a link other than, obviously, thematic between pulp mag art and WWII aircraft nose art? This was certainly the GI generation buying this product, and prior to the war it strikes me that publications were a bit tamer. T

ambisinistral said...

That could be -- it was the same time they were doing the cheesecake photos for the soldiers.