Wednesday, October 06, 2021

Updated people

Becca Saladin is an artist who uses photoshop to convert paintings and sculptures of people into more modern versions of them. Above is a video of many of her works. 

She adds contemporary clothing, hairstyle and makeup to the people. Regular readers will know that I am interested by old paintings and pictures, and her modernization of old timey people is fascinating. It shows them in a whole different, and much more relatable, light.

Below are some of her pictures from around the web. You can see more at her website RoyaltyNow. You can buy prints of her work and also commission her to restore old family photographs. As she says at her site:

Working full-time as a corporate Graphic Designer on marketing collateral, my outside-of-work passions have always been art and history. Like most people, I’m so intrigued by history, yet always felt separated from the figures, likely because it’s difficult to relate to a stiff, formal portrait of a monarch. In early 2018, I created an Instagram account to share my hobby of transforming old portraits into lifelike modern-day images with fellow art and history enthusiasts. Since then, I’ve been able to expand Royalty Now to Tik Tok, YouTube & Etsy. It’s also expanded into different versions of my work - creating custom renaissance portraits for clients, retouching and colorizing old photographs, bringing an old family relative into the modern-day, and more.

Mona Lisa

Benjamin Franklin

Caligula

The Sun King Louis XIV

Alexander the Great

Cleopatra

Unknown man from the Fayum Mummy portraits 

Leonardo da Vinci

4 comments:

talnik said...

Franklin looks a little like a young Soros...

ambisinistral said...

He does, but Franklin has a thinner face. Alexander the Great looks more like a skater kid than a leader of men.

talnik said...

Well, I see Soros everywhere anyway.

ambisinistral said...

I think I've seen da Vinci on the side of the road with a 'will work for food' sign.