Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Asking an important question

Regular readers will know that I'm a huge supporter of the Green Party. Naturally, that means that I am also a vegan. I'll admit to backsliding here and there -- I probably ought to cut back on my consumption of bacon double cheeseburgers for example. However, the way I look at it pickles and catsup are vegetables, right? Baby steps. At any rate, let he/she/xir/it/they who is without sin cast the first stone.

That brings me to today's video on an issue that I, and I assume you as well, have long been concerned about. Namely, can vegans eat carnivorous plants?

From the video we discover that if you're walking down a path and you spot a Venus flytrap that you can pluck and eat it with a clear conscience. However, should you decide to cultivate Venus flytraps for food the act of feeding them bugs would violate veganism. Rats, there goes my dream of retiring to my 1,000-acre Venus flytrap plantation. 

She goes further off the rails, err... I mean she goes further into the discussion of vegan philosophy by discussing the ethics of using Venus flytraps as pest control. I don't know, I'm from Florida and I don't think that even a veritable palisade of Venus flytraps would do much to stop the creepy-crawlies, but who am I to question her wisdom and authority on the topic?

 

2 comments:

Tacitus said...

I think eating carnivorous plants is fine if you also eat herbivorous animals. A consistent stance, and in keeping with our evolutionary status as omnivores.

Your roughage may vary.

T

ambisinistral said...

I'm trying to convince my wife to allow me to ring our house with Venus flytraps for pest protection, but she is not yet sold on the idea for some reason.