Thursday, October 26, 2006

Bean Eater

Greyhawk at Mudville has an interesting take on the recent dust up between Maliki and Ambassador Khalilzad and who said what in regards to an agreement with Talibani to deal with some of Iraq's internal problems. The point being the reporters may have created a false impression themselves when asking Maliki questions.

Why the heading? Well... years ago when I was in second grade I came home from school and told my mother the teacher had called me a bean eater. Mama took offence at this and immediately went to the teacher to give the lady a piece of her mind. My mother was going at it pretty good, telling the lady we were not white trash by God, when the teacher interrupted her and said "I did not tell Terrye she was a bean eater, I told her I wanted her to be neater".

To this day I can remember the look on Mama's face when she turned and zeroed in on me.

I had an excuse for my misreporting, I was 7 years old. What is the excuse of reporters today?

BTW, I think both the governments are playing to their domestic audiences right now and a great deal of the important work that people like Khalilzad are doing in regards to the International Compact of Iraq and other initiatives goes unreported.

The spats we hear about.

1 comment:

chuck said...

The spats we hear about.

Not to mention that the news is *never* correctly reported. I don't know why that has to be so, but it is. It's right up there with death and taxes. So at best we operate with a combination of preconceptions and fuzzy impressions.